North Dakota State University
Job Listing URL: (new browser window will open)
$30,000 - $49,999
The Extension Agent, Family Nutrition Program will work collaboratively with a team of Extension professionals, county residents and leaders using science-based education and outreach to improve the health of and improve access to healthful foods and physical activity opportunities for community members and youth. The position targets Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)-eligible households and is supervised by the NDSU Extension Family Nutrition Program Director. This position is contingent on the availability of funds to support the program. This is a 0.8 FTE position located in Wahpeton, ND.
This position includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
• Teach, deliver and evaluate programs in food and nutrition, food preparation and physical activity to youth and adults from eligible households.
o Conduct needs assessment that results in outreach based on the needs of the target audience.
• Participate in professional development offered by the NDSU Extension and other entities as appropriate.
Collaborate and Facilitate
• Build partnerships and collaborate with county, state and federal governmental units, local organizations, businesses and others to provide a comprehensive program in nutrition education and outreach targeting eligible households.
• Engage local stakeholders to initiate and expand community food and wellness projects.
• Ensure compliance with equal opportunity policies.
• Be an active learner to keep relevant with new teaching strategies, advances in the professional field, technology, news and related program area research.
• Be self-directed with minimal supervision in the work environment.
• Maintain and submit records accurately and on time. Manage operating budget.
• Travel within the county and district is required. Occasional travel and overnight trips outside the district are also required.
• Perform other duties as assigned in support of Extension.
Screening for this position will begin March 3, 2020 and continue until the position is filled.
NDSU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of age, color, gender expression/identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, participation in lawful off-campus activity, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, public assistance status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, spousal relationship to current employee, or veteran status, as applicable.
As an employer, the State of North Dakota prohibits smoking in all places of state employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. § 23-12-10.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Family and Consumer Science, Food and Nutrition, Education, or a closely related discipline.
2. Evidence of course work, professional development or work experience related to this position.
3. Information and educational technology skills necessary to work effectively, manage resources and disseminate information.
4. Ability to communicate effectively (orally and in writing) with individuals, groups and through mass media.
5. Organizational management skills, including the ability to be self-directed in the work environment, manage time and resources and keep good records.
6. Familiarity with various ethnic and socioeconomic audiences, an interest and ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds, and a commitment to the principles of diversity.
7. Personal vehicle and valid driver’s license.
1. Experience in delivering food and nutrition educational programs.
2. Demonstrated work or volunteer experience with adult or youth from low-income households.
3. Knowledge of community-based programming, the geographic area and existing community partners to be served.
4. Understanding of policy, systems and environmental (PSE) change efforts for health promotion.