Burleigh County Human Resources
316 N 5th St, Ste 106, Bismarck, ND 58501
Web Site: (new browser window will open)
Job Listing URL: (new browser window will open)
$70,000 and above
Job Summary: Under supervision of the Board of County Commissioners, performs complex administrative duties directing the accounting and budgetary operations of the County acting as comptroller in charge of revenue and expenditures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for performing complex administrative duties and professional work in directing the accounting and budgetary operations of the County, acting as comptroller overseeing all revenue and expenditures for the County.
• Responsible for computing mill levies for all taxing districts in the County in accordance with state statue, prepare tax abstract for the state and prepare financial data/information for the State Legislature.
• Advise County Commissioners and Department Heads on financial issues and assist with reviewing budgets and financial audits; attend Commission meetings.
• Prepare and review journal entries, prepare reports for the state, and review bank statement reconciliations.
• Compile a comprehensive annual financial budget, review, analyze, and interpret monthly financials, and monitor budget for overages and shortages.
• Formulate, implement, interpret, and monitor enforcement of county accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls to ensure the integrity of county financial operations and compliance with all legal requirements and applicable accounting standards.
• Oversee the maintenance of the County’s capital asset records, track capital expenditures, identify and assign inventory numbers to capital assets, and prepare capital asset reports as scheduled.
• Serve as property manager for the County Courthouse and Provident buildings negotiating leases.
• Administers the risk management insurance coverage’s.
• Administer state and federal grants. Compile data for County Auditor’s Certificate of Indebtedness, tax data, bonding process, and political subdivisions.
• Responsible for assisting department heads in preparation and review of annual budgets, review journal entries, develop and implement accounting techniques, internal auditing, and implementing controls.
• Administer the County’s liability, boiler and capital asset insurance policies.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field; must be a Certified Public Accountant, and have 3-5 years’ experience in a similar position with general knowledge of accounting techniques, laws, and regulations pertaining to governmental accounting practice.
• Must have the ability to design, prepare and present complex budget and computerized accounting systems.
• Must possess excellent communication skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with County officials and employees, and the general public.
• Must possess computer skills with proficiency in MS Excel. Must have the ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of others, and analyze, interpret, and prepare reports and records.
• Knowledge of relevant federal and state laws, department policies and procedures.
• Experience in property management of buildings and grounds, and negotiating leases preferred.