North Dakota State University
Job Listing URL: (new browser window will open)
$70,000 and above
Bismarck, Bottineau or Fargo
The North Dakota Forest Service is a state agency within North Dakota State University. The mission of the North Dakota Forest Service is to “care for, protect and improve forest resources to enhance the quality of life for present and future generations.” The agency provides technical, financial and educational assistance relating to the management of private forest lands, state forest lands, urban and community forests, tree planting and wildfire protection.
The State Forester reports directly to the President of North Dakota State University and serves as director and is responsible for the administration of the North Dakota Forest Service, including the agency’s $15.5 million budget and directing statewide forestry services through three leadership teams comprised of 27 full-time and approximately 45 seasonal employees.
This position includes, but is not limited to the following responsibilities:
• Provide leadership in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of programs
• Oversee the management of the agency including policy guidance, budget development and legislative outreach
• Provide state and national leadership to conserve and manage forest landscapes, protect forest resources and enhance public benefits from trees and forests
• Develop and nurture working relationships with various public and private agencies and organizations within North Dakota that are interested in enhancing the North Dakota Forest Service’s educational and resource management programs
• Supervise and direct the agency’s administration team
• Provide assistance to landowners, communities, rural fire districts, schools and public bodies relating to forestry, reforestation, protection and management of forest resources, prevention and suppression of wildfires, and tree planting
• Lead and administer voluntary, educational, incentives-based forestry programs
• One of three Forest Service offices locations including Bismarck, Bottineau and Fargo ND
Screening will begin 8/21/19
NDSU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of age, color, gender expression/identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, participation in lawful off-campus activity, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, public assistance status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, spousal relationship to current employee, or veteran status, as applicable.
As an employer, the State of North Dakota prohibits smoking in all places of state employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. § 23-12-10.
Effective oral and written communication skills
• Bachelor of Science Degree or higher in Forestry from a Society of American Foresters accredited program
• Five (5) years of directly related forestry experience involving administrative leadership, management policies and business operations in a public service agency, private business, non-profit or an academic institution.
• Five (5) years of supervisory experience with a high level of interpersonal skill to motivate others
• Demonstrated certification, training, and knowledge in the Incident Command System
Demonstrated experience in budget development and management
• Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver innovative and creative forestry outreach programs
• Demonstrated executive level leadership, personnel management and communication skills
• Demonstrated experience in emergency wildland fire management operations and business procedures
• Demonstrated ability to build support through partnerships and coalitions
• Demonstrated experience working within the legislative process