North Dakota State University
Job Listing URL: (new browser window will open)
$70,000 and above
The successful candidate will be affiliated with the newly created Center for Trading and Risk at North Dakota State University. The candidate will be expected to develop a complementary research to expand the scope of the Center. Research should be focused in areas of risk and trading in the commodity industry to include agriculture and/or energy. Focus of research may include any combination of: commodity marketing, trading, hedging, logistics, finance etc. Teaching in the future is a possibility depending on the department’s needs and candidate’s interests. Teaching would be minor and would supplement existing professors among current courses within the scope of the CTR, and/or one or more newly developed courses. In general, these could include focus on risk, risk management and measurement, including stochastic simulation, optimization etc.
Evaluations in the department are based on successful publication in leading disciplinary journals, active participation in professional activities, satisfactory service and outreach activities to the profession, state, university and department. In addition, the successful pursuit of extramural funding sufficient to support an active research program, and evidence of teaching proficiency will be considered.
Application materials must include a letter of application including a statement of principal qualifications and interests, curriculum vitae, transcripts of all university work, samples of research publications (attach to Other Document 1) and names and contact information for three professional colleagues familiar with the candidate’s qualifications. Questions may be directed to William Wilson, Chair of the search committee (email: William.firstname.lastname@example.org).
Screening will begin 11/15/17
As an employer, the State of North Dakota prohibits smoking in all places of state employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. § 23-12-10.
NDSU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of age, color, gender expression/identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, participation in lawful off-campus activity, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, public assistance status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, spousal relationship to current employee, or veteran status, as applicable.
1. Earned Ph.D. in agricultural economics, economics or finance by date of appointment;
2. Expertise in quantitative methods related to risk analysis including stochastic simulation and optimization, and measurement and strategy;
3. Demonstrated expertise in risk as applied to either agricultural and/or energy industries;
4. Effective oral and written communication skills;
1. Experience in the agricultural industry pertaining to risk analysis
2. Demonstrated ability to conduct research and disseminate results in leading academic journals;
3. Knowledge of the application of Big Data to commodity marketing problems;
4. Interest in teaching in applied risk analysis
5. Ability to communicate research results to clientele groups;
6. Demonstrated consistent and excellent contributions to research and publication and scholarship;
7. Ability to obtain extramural support for research activities, and
8. Ability to attract externally funded research in agricultural/agribusiness finance or risk analysis.